Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dancing with Stars 2009 | November 17 Results | Dancing With Stars

Mya had the top scores. Donny Osmond has the biggest fan base. And Kelly Osbourne likely captured the young vote. Alas, that didn't leave a spot in the 'Dancing With the Stars' finals for model Joanna Krupa and her partner Derek Hough, the couple that arguably turned in the most consistently creative dances this season. (The orange-clad duo's ultra-sexy mambo on Oct. 26th was almost too hot for the family-themed show.)


AOL was backstage to talk to Krupa and Hough about making it to the semi-finals, her Playboy cover and their plans for the future. We also chatted with the three finalist couples about the tough semi-final competition and what they'll need to do to win the coveted mirror ball trophy in the season 9 finale next week.

Did it come down to needing a strong fan base to make it to the finals?
Derek: Yes. In order for the scoring to matter you need to have a huge [difference]. We learned from Marie [Osmond, in season 5] that [an Osmond] can make the finals.

Joanna: It was a really tough competition. I came in as the underdog and competed against people with bigger fan bases. I feel really blessed to have had this opportunity. I knew anything could have happened tonight.


Do you think you came out of your shell this season?
Derek: I think I could a lot more. I have a lot more inside.
Joanna: You haven't seen anything until you've seen Derek in rehearsals.
Derek: Cheryl [Burke] jokes that I say this every season, but I've had the best season. I had a great time with Joanna. She did something more important than making the finals -- she did a memorable dance every week.


What will you miss most about 'Dancing With the Stars?'
Joanna: Everything. You never get used to a live show, but this whole experience has made me such a stronger person. I didn't think I could dance, but the fact that I got to the semi-finals makes me very proud.
Derek: It's been such a joy working with Joanna and coming up with things. We've had an amazing season, very colorful and dynamic -- from me getting sick [one week] and Maks [Chmerkovskiy] coming in to replace me, to the group mambo thing we won and the futuristic paso doble that we did. We went out with great scores and got to do a great dance. Everything fell into place beautifully. I'm not sad. I'm really happy.

The only good thing is that you don't have to go into rehearsals for the finals ...
Derek: [Laughs] I know! I know!

Joanna: We do have to get up early to do press and we're going to New York to do 'The View' and 'Good Morning America.'
Derek: To be honest, I'd much rather [leave after] the semi-finals than come in second or third. It'd kill me to do all that work [and not win].
What are your plans?
Joanna: I have some things lined up and some meetings I can take [now that I'm done]. Maybe I'll take one day and sleep in?
How are you going to maintain your new physique?
Joanna: Good question.
Derek: (Wryly) She's going to eat a lot of hamburgers to try to get her butt back!
Joanna: Yeah, I definitely worked my butt off! I do love that I'm leaner and stronger now.
Derek, will you be back next season?
Derek: Yeah. I'm sure. It's the 10th season. I've [already] got some great ideas, actually. The producers have given me more freedom for ideas with results shows.
There were a lot of changes this season. What did you like about them?
Derek: They've come up with the best changes this season like the competition mambo. I think for a show that's been on for nine seasons they're keeping it very interesting.
What did you think about having 16 couples?
Derek: I thought that was terrible. Nobody wants to see that many couples. Honestly, it's discouraging. It's like sitting in church for three hours. You go to church, you want to go for an hour.
What response have you gotten to your Playboy feature?
Joanna: It's been amazing, especially from women.
Did host Tom Bergeron bring a copy of it to rehearsal like he did the Lisa Rinna issue?
Joanna: [Laughs] He did. It was pretty funny!

Derek: I'm going to look at it now, baby! A glass of red wine ...


Did you time the Playboy issue to come out during the semi-finals?
Joanna: No. I shot it before [I signed up for this show]. Playboy really helped build my name. They gave me the rights to [reject] any photos I didn't like. I had control over the hair, makeup and the kind of shoot and the photographer that I wanted.



Donny and Kym Johnson, what happened to the dress in the first dance?
Kym: I got caught in it. I don't know when or how. It went downhill from there.
Donny: I messed up a step and couldn't get back. It was a domino effect.



What did you learn from Marie's freestyle dance in season 5?
Donny: I will never dress up as a doll.

Kym: You'd make a cute one, but ... I would say I agree with you.
Donny: Kym's got some great ideas for the finals. We'll have to pull out all the stops.


Can you do a freestyle dance to 'I'm a Little Bit Country, I'm a Little Bit Rock 'N Roll'?
Kym: That would be funny.
Donny: That would be funny, but it can't be "gimmicky."


Donny, how many times have you seen that pie in the face clip from 'The Donny & Marie Show'?
Donny: Tons. I wasn't able to see much of the show [on Monday] because we were focusing on our dance.


The red room was empty on Monday night. Where were you all?
Kym: We had so many dances. We were getting changed and in hair and make up. We didn't have any time.


Kelly, how are your feet feeling?
Kelly: The numbing is starting to wear off. I'm getting the pain back. I have flat feet. I tore cartilage in my feet. I'm going to have to have surgery. It's not that big of a deal. I get to be dramatic and Louis [Van Amstel] will have to take care of me. I didn't talk about this before because I didn't want to get the sympathy vote.

Hey, Dmitry's taking his shirt off. All bets are off! Go for the sympathy!

Kelly: [Laughs] I know! Don't you love it? Go Dmitry!

How much pain are you in?

Kelly: It's like when you have a cavity in your teeth, only it's in your foot.
Louis: It's worse because of the three inch heels. That makes it really bad.
Kelly: It's really painful.


Are you a fan of the spray tanning that the show uses?
Kelly: F*** yeah! It makes you look so skinny ... I'm never going to stop! I've never been this tan in my life.



Mya, what did you think of Dmitry going shirtless?
Mya: I think he fulfilled the ladies' requests. They've wanted to see his chest for a while. He's had sheer shirts, but he's never revealed enough.

Mya, you're pretty revealing, too!
Mya: It was Dmitry's idea.

Dmitry: (Smiling) Yes. Guys can thank me.


How do you feel going into the finals?
Dmitry: I've had a blast. Mya is the perfect partner. We've had fun. We couldn't do possibly anything better.


How hard was it doing three dances in the semi-finals?
Mya: This has been the most brutal [week]. I've booked two massages this week. It's really been a journey. We've had some low points and we've had some great moments, especially lately. Criticisms have helped show us what not to do. We've been blessed to stay in this competition.

Dmitry: Mya is a perfectionist.
Mya: If you're in front of people where money is on the line, you have to be great at all times. We've all been working hard. We want to make sure no one thinks we're lazy -- even if we make mistakes.


Did you guys really sleep overnight in the tent in the rehearsal hall?
Mya: Not overnight, but we took power naps. It helped.

Dmitry: Sometimes it'd be dark in the studio and we'd just sleep there.


What will the finals be like?
Mya: We have four dances for the finals. I pray that our bodies hold up. [But] I'm having the time of my life.



Tags: cheryl burke, CherylBurke, dancing with the stars, DancingWithTheStars, derek hough, DerekHough, dmitry chaplin, DmitryChaplin, donny osmond, DonnyOsmond, joanna krupa, JoannaKrupa, kelly osbourne, KellyOsbourne, kym johnson, KymJohnson, lisa rinna, LisaRinna, louis van amstel, LouisVanAmstel, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, MaksimChmerkovskiy, marie osmond, MarieOsmond, mya, season9, the donny marie show, TheDonnyMarieShow, tom bergeron, TomBergeron, Dancing With Stars 2009, Dancing With Stars, Dancing With Stars November 17, 2009


Source: http://television.aol.com/dancing-with-the-stars/2009/11/17/dancing-with-the-stars-results-show-elimination-november-17/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites